Discuss with us!

Login with

or

Login

New registration

If you are not a participant, you can register here.

Our comment and community guidelines

The purpose of this platform is exchange. The comment function should make a factual discussion possible. In order to warrant this, the editorial staff reserves the right to delete comments which are detrimental to such a discussion or do not refer to it. There is no entitlement to publication.
More information can be found in our Comment-Guidelines.

  • Author: Olaf Schulze

METRO's climate saving & energy strategy to achieve next level

Corporate programme to achieve 50% less CO2 until 2030

This article includes several parts:

A few days after COP21 at the end of 2015 METRO GROUP published its new corporate climate saving target as the previous 2020 CO2 reduction target had been already achieved four years earlier than expected.

A few days after the COP21 conference METRO GROUP published its new corporate climate saving target after already having successfully achieved its 2020 target: Between 2011 and 2030 METRO seeks to save 50% CO2 emissions per square meter sales floor worldwide. Until the end of 2015 we achieved as milestone a 20% CO2 reduction and could fulfill our own 2020 target four years earlier than originally envisaged.

The main impact on METRO’s corporate carbon foot print is coming from energy and refrigerants. Both are responsible for more than 90% of METRO’s carbon footprint. The other 10% are resulting from paper, business travel and company cars.

To achieve the ambitious new climate target 2030 METRO has developed three main pillars to work on: (1) the Energy saving programme to lead to significant higher energy efficiency by investments e.g. in high efficient store- illumination or closed cooling furniture, (2) the F-Gas- Exit to exchange the existing hydro fluor carbon refrigerants (HFCs) to natural refrigerants in all cooling systems of METRO worldwide and (3) renewable energy production at the store.

Energy Saving Programme

The energy saving programme describes a program to invest in high energy efficient in store technic with the prerequisite of a payback period not longer than 5 years. In the fiscal year 2016 METRO invested more than 24 million € in approx. 500 different projects, especially in LED illumination, closed cooling furniture with doors, installation of closed food & vegetable departments. In the fiscal year 2016 METRO Cash & Carry could overall save 4.14% electricity compared with the previous year, and compared with 2011 more than 18%.

As second part of the energy saving programme METRO started again an energy awareness programme to create higher energy and resource saving awareness at our employees. To push the awareness METRO and its German subsidiaries founded together with Galeria Kaufhof an energy efficiency network: the changing face of trade.

Furthermore, METRO Cash & Carry France received the ISO 50.001 certification. METRO Cash & Carry Germany is currently in the audit process for the ISO 50.001 until the end of 2016. The objective is to reduce the electricity demand per square meter net sales area until 2030 by approx. 35%, in the end with intelligent investments and with awareness programs.

Olaf Schulze

Information about the author

Olaf Schulze is Head of Energy Management at METRO AG.
Olaf.Schulze@Metro.de

This article includes several parts: